Sunday 12 February 2012

Finding Your Strongest Life

Picked up this book, Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently by Marcus Buckingham, a few weeks ago. In fact, I was looking for some other books to read when I chanced upon this book. Attractive title and when I read the synopsis and the reviews, I was WOWED and I decided I am not going to put this book back on the Library shelves.

I am glad I borrowed the book for it is one of the most powerful book that I certainly had read thus far.


The first take-away:
This book shows how two person undergoing the same life courses can have varying feel and outcomes based on the decisions and choices they have made when they encounter needs to make decisions/ choices. It tells us the importance of making choices based on our 'strongest moments'. 



There are times when the path ahead may seem uncertain but if we feel strongly in moving ahead, we should. Even if it may not lead us to anyway we thought it, we will not look back in our old age one day and regret that we have not taken that path.

The second take-away:
It is a fine line between doing the right things and doing what we want to do and the former usually drains us of our energy because of us trying to strike a balance. In all our lives, many of us try to strike a balance in all that we do, because that SHOULD be the right way, but this book tells us to find the imbalance in life - to go for what we really want to do and believe in.



The third take-away:
Work on our strengths rather than weaknesses. Focusing at a person's strength enhances and magnifies them, the same goes for focusing on our weaknesses. Focus on what we can do best and let the weaknesses stay in the background.



The fourth and most important take-away:
Finding out my own 'roles'. Take the Strong Life Test at stronglifetest.com and find out your lead and supporting roles you are born to play which makes you feel good and how you can make better choices in life based on these roles. 



The 9 Roles of Women


My lead role is: Creator (which surprises me) 


My supporting role is: Advisor
From the book:  "If you look at what you have in life, you'll always have more. If you look at what you don't have in life, you'll never have enough." ~ Oprah Winfrey

No comments:

Post a Comment