Tuesday 19 June 2012

Cambodia, the place that is close to my heart

The Kingdom of Cambodia is an independent country with a population of more than 7 million people. With a surface area of 181,035 sq. km and once a French colony, is the least known Indochinese country. Cambodia has a distinct geographical personality: it is a wide basin surrounded by highlands. In this basin the farmer has created a simple life - an original civilization and philosophy of mildness. Cambodia is divided into 20 provinces and 4 cities.


Cambodia was once know as “The Pearl of Asia”. As a consequences of the War in Vietnam, the Khmer Rouge cam to power. During their 5-year reign of terror, 2-3 million people died and the country was left devastated.

Today, Cambodia remains to be one of the poorest countries in Asia, with hundreds and thousands of orphans and street children. ~ http://www.asiatravel.com/cambinfo.html
The Kingdom of Cambodia is fondly known as my Second home. Sandwiched between Vietnam, Thailand and Laos; it is a little known country even to Asians. Not known to many is also that this Kingdom has a charm that cannot be put into words. Many friends asked, "Why does Cambodia attract you so much?", I always reply, "Visit it and you will know why, it has a charm that needs to be experienced first hand."


And yes, I had been charmed.

Charmed by its people... Their smiles, their happiness regardless how hard life had been on them...



Charmed by its landscape... The serenity, the peace, the calmness...



Charmed by its history... the majestic, the tough times and how its people overcame the difficulties...



Most importantly, I am charmed by these people who have so much impacted my life... The people of Peaceful Children's Home (Khmer Foundation for Justice, Peace and Development)



To find out more about these children and how you are able to help them, do stay tuned to the next post...

Till then...

4 comments:

  1. Was great to see u had touched their life, and the people charms you at the same time.

    A heart of gold is never enough, we need more people to offer their heart of gold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Luke, for sharing this link. I cannot do much for the children, but I guess I can at least spread the awareness. Because of encouragements from friends like you, I will certainly aim to do more for the children

      Delete
  2. Please do no mention it, for it is the least I can do for the children in Cambodia.
    And your blog is definitely worthy to spread around.

    Can i request to add your blog onto my links as well?
    So it will increase more chance for people around us to read your blog and therefore increase the awareness as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure, but I seldom update. I hope I will have the discipline to constantly upkeep the entries

    ReplyDelete